BLOCK ISLAND HISTORICAL NEWS
Still in the planning stages Archaeology Day will be held in October, location: Historical Society, Program includes a panel discussion with Kevin McBride, Associate Professor of Anthropology at the University of Connecticut;
Joseph (Jay) N. Waller, Jr, Senior Archaeologist with The Public Laboratory, Inc (PAL); Tim Ives, Principle Archaeologist from the Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission.
The double ender full size replica “Unity” on the south lawn has been restored with the assistance of shipwright John Puckett who attended the IRYS boat building school in Newport, RI. Bill Kelley is continuing the repairs and we are always looking for volunteers and donations. The 75th Anniversary exhibit highlights the history of the double ender with artistic images and a special limited giclee print of the boat coming into Pole Harbor offered by the estate of artist Victor May.read more
Renovations to the 1871 historic Woonsocket House Museum have been ongoing since 2008 with the assistance of many local contractors. John Littlefield has been our main contractor restoring the mansard roof, ell addition sills and foundations, north wall and front porch. Funding from private donations, the Champlin Foundation, 1772 Foundation, Roosa Fund and the 2007 RI State Preservation Grant.read more