Southeast Lighthouse Moved

Southeast Lighthouse Moved

The National Historic Landmark, Southeast Lighthouse was moved in 1993, as it was in danger of falling off the Mohegan Bluffs due to erosion. An authentic first order Fresnel lens still sends out a green beam across the ocean. In addition to offering tours of the tower during the summer season, the site offers a great location for weddings or special gatherings. Contact the Southeast Lighthouse Foundation @ 401-466-5009. Special Tours can also be arranged via the Historical Society. A unique food truck will be located inside the gate this summer selling water and “SE Light Delights”.

Block Island Conservancy Founded

Block Island Conservancy Founded

In 1972 the Block Island Conservancy was founded. Capt. Rob Lewis spearheaded this campaign to “Save Open Space”. He was also a member of the Historical Society Board of Directors for many years and was instrumental in having the vision to help the Society move the Southeast Lighthouse.  The Conservancy and other land conservation organizations are responsible for protecting over 43% of the island from development. Greenway trails have been established across the island. The Society conducts off site tours which include some Conservancy land with historic sites, specifically the Native American Village site on Great Salt Pond. Tours of the smaller island cemeteries also include walks on the Island’s greenway trails. Sheffield Cemetery off Corn Neck Road , Winfield Dodge Preserve: historic foundation and views of the southwest side of the island;Palatine Graves and  Lewis Dickens trail includes info about the “Bird Lady” Elizabeth Dickens and her dedication to preserving Block Island’s land and culture. Please inquire as to time and rates.

Block Island Historical Society Founded

Block Island Historical Society Founded

The three story building with cupola and red straight mansard roof is the headquarters for the Society established in 1942. The House is listed on the Register of Historic Places. The museum building originally known as the Woonsocket House ca. 1871,( a hotel & annex with rooms that were rented until the 1970′s ) was purchased in 1945, it was the homesite of Gideon Rose and later rebuilt as a boarding house by A.J. Rose and family. Today a gallery and museum shop are located in the ell addition. Genealogy research is available as well as tours of the museum. See About Us for more info.

 

5278963821_663c21565b_o.jpg